Monday, February 1, 2016

Looking Toward Lent

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives
and recovery of sight to the blind,
to let the oppressed go free,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

                                            [Jesus, in Luke 4:16-19, reading from Isaiah 61:1-2]

Dear God,

As I prepare for Lent, let me first say thank you--
for anointing me, at my ordination, to proclaim release, forgiveness, and your favor
to the sons and daughters whom you so love.

And let me apologize--
for all the times I have failed to proclaim, and especially to live, that good news.
There have been far too many.

I am anointed and blind,
anointed and broken,
anointed and captive,
in so many ways.

I need to hear
the good news I proclaim.

Lord, I live
among so much brokenness;
among people who have been
forgotten and betrayed,
who are hurting and angry,
who feel as if
they are imprisoned.

And they too
have been anointed.
They proclaim good news,
They forgive and release,
They live as your flawed and loving
daughters and sons.


Enfold us God,
for we are bound together--
needed and needing,
anointed and flawed,
healing and broken
in this your world.
                                  

2 comments:

  1. "Needed and needing" -- yes, you have it right there... (and many other places as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Needed and needing" -- yes, you have it right there... (and many other places as well.)

    ReplyDelete